"It is my job to make sure that you grow up to be a productive member of society and not a burden to it!" ~ my dad.

Friday, December 19, 2008

I'm Addicted

When I was a little girl, my mother taught me how to knit and crochet. I remember making several blankets for my Barbies but that's about it. I really don't remember being frustrated with the process.

A couple of years ago, I realized I really didn't have much in the homemaking skills department to hand down to my daughter. I remembered the fun of crocheting as a kid and attempted to pick up the craft once again.

I don't think I've ever done anything more aggravating in my life! For starters, my stitches were so tight they squeaked! Apparently, one cannot be stressed or uptight when crocheting. I may have been a tad stressed and uptight. The art of crochet was soon heaved out the window.

Fast forward to today: I have found a new best friend in the realm of yarn crafts: The Knifty Knitter!

These are the circular looms for hats, scarves, purses and whatnot. There are oblong looms as well for blankets. I don't have any of those yet (hint, hint, Sweetie).

These are so easy to use, I'm quite tickled with them. And knitting now actually calms and relaxes me! Who'da thought?

I've made a couple of projects I wanted to share. First, a warm scarf for those cold Nebraska days:


And a little hat (one of three) I've made for Punky's dolls. I highly recommend trying new techniques on smaller projects. You'll see results right away without spending too much time or materials in the event you make a few mistakes. Punky's doll clothes are my test items.
For instance, this little hat is riddled with mistakes. I won't point them out to you but they're there. It's just easier on one's crafting ego to make mistakes on smaller projects. Trust me.
If you're new to knitting or it's been awhile since you've hooked 1 and purled 2, I highly recommend the Knifty Knitter. You can pick one (or two or three or ten) up at your nearby craft store or Walmart.

2 comments:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

My mom has those and she loves them!!!! I'm still hoping to learn to knit the traditional way, but I can't seem to pick it up from the books.

Andrea Hutchens RYT-500 said...

Okay, I'm starting to get so jealous that you have all this time for new projects!!!