"It is my job to make sure that you grow up to be a productive member of society and not a burden to it!" ~ my dad.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

WFMW


Sick Smoothies

recipe4living.com

I don't mean sick as in way cool, man. I mean sick as in my kids are sick and this is the only way I can get any nutrients into them.

My daughter is currently battling a chest cold and while this has nothing to do with her digestive system, for some reason or another, my kids always lose their appetites whenever they fall ill. It becomes a struggle to get any food into them and this worries the little Italian mother that lives inside me who can't bear to see someone go without food.

For the record, I'm German but the little Italian mother in me and I get along swimmingly.

Anyway, this is a trick I used to get food into my daughter between the age of 10 mos and 2 yrs when she wouldn't eat anything anyway. Smoothies, baby, smoothies.

You can hide all sort of magnificent, highly nutritious stuff in smoothies and the little rugrats (I say that with love) have no clue. Here's an easy one:

Fiber One vanilla yogurt (gets some fiber in there)
4-6 oz orange juice (Vitamin C)
baby food jar of pureed carrots (beta-carotene)
one medium banana (potassium)
flaxseed or flaxseed oil (omega-3's)
Mix it all together in a blender.


My kids think this is a treat! Next time your little ones are under a virus attack and you're having some difficulty getting some good, hearty nutrients in them, give a smoothie a try.

Sick Smoothies - they Work For Me!

My other WFMW posts:
From Ew! to New!
Butter For Your Feet
How to Correctly Fold A Towel
Organizational Bins, Boxes & More!
A Place for Necklaces

3 comments:

Lorie said...

We love smoothies at our house. Sick or not. I have never hidden carrots in them though. I might have to give that a try!

Laurel said...

Oh, no! Two sick kids. Blech. Hope everyone is up and around again very soon. Over Christmas break both of my kids had the stomach flu. And why Logan can not get to the bathroom on time is beyond me.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this! Ive been trying to figure out ways to sneak in veggies for my kids and I never thought of putting baby food in smoothies. Great ideas!