"It is my job to make sure that you grow up to be a productive member of society and not a burden to it!" ~ my dad.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Minimizing Monday

This week over at Handprints on the Wall, Kendra challenges us to get rid of those stacks of magazines that have a way of piling up around the house. Not to pat myself on the back too hard but I'm actually pretty good at keeping the magazine piles at bay. When I buy a People mag or the like, I let them collect until I have 5 or 6 then I take the stack to my hairstylist to put out for her clients to read.

But there was a time years ago when I had roughly 150 magazines piled in my spare bedroom. 150! Can you believe it? Well, as it turned out, that enormous stack ended up coming in quite handy. I had taken a Interior Decorating 101 class at the local community college and our final assignment was to collect examples of several design principles and elements and put them all together in a binder:

I still use this binder to this day. I even used it to demonstrate several decorating tips during a "How To" day for my M.O.M.S group at my church. I had to follow a format but you can make your binder any way you like, of course. You can place a picture on one side and a brief description of what you like about it on the other.
I find that when I cut pictures out of a magazine, it's important for me to write down why I pulled it out. I can't tell you how many times I've found a picture from a magazine and then thought, Now why did I keep this?

I do have a small collection of magazines awaiting placement in a binder. I'll get to it, but sadly, not anytime soon. Here's where I keep my current stash:
I also have a nice pile of scrapbooking magazines waiting for a project. I'd like to cut out the samples of scrapbook pages and display them but I'm a little short on ideas. You wouldn't happen to have an idea for me, would you?
Please, leave a comment if you have an idea for what to do with my scrapbook magazines. Or, better yet, if you've blogged an idea, leave me the link to it. I'd love to check it out!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, the Scrapbooking Magazines really get me too! It's so hard to toss them sometimes when they are full of so many good ideas. What I do is cut out the page layout ideas that I like from the magazine, and tape them onto notebook paper to keep in a binder. But if the magazine has a TON of cute ideas in it, I just keep it.

Maybe if there are more pages that you like than you don't like, pull out the ads and pages that aren't interesting, and keep that magazine with only pages you like :)

Thanks for sharing with us!

Liz said...

I love the way your mags look in that green container - is that a waste basket or a ceramic plant pot? I might try that if I come across a cute container like that! I keep magazines for no longer than a year (I only have a couple of subscriptions to Redbook and to Better Homes and Gardens, so its not too many there). BUT...I am a beader/jewelry maker, so I have a bunch of beading magazines. And I find that as I learn new things, I refer to my old magazines and things that I had not noticed the first time around, are useful to me the a few months later. So those I keep, no matter what. I imagine scrappbooking could be the same way. Some magazines offer binders to keep them all together...maybe that would work...or just create more clutter! Aah, the curse of the crafter is keeping everything cuz you never know when you might need it!

Tara said...

Great job. Just found your blog--looks beautiful!

AudreyO said...

Hold a contest and give away the scrapbooking magazines. I'll enter :)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea for a giveaway, and I'd enter that too, but you could always pull out the pages you like and make a binder just like your other one. Just label sections for girl pages, boy pages, outdoors, etc...